Learning Foreign Languages
The Kellogg-Hubbard hosts Foreign Language Lunches, which give you the chance to brush up your conversational skills. All levels are welcome. Bring a bag lunch and a dictionary. Language lunch groups meet weekdays, 12-1 pm, in the Hayes Room.
- Monday: American Sign Language
- Tuesday: Italian
- Wednesday: Spanish
The foreign language resources in our collection include:
- An extensive collection of language lessons on CD
- Some novels in various foreign languages
- Some audiobooks in Spanish
- Many bilingual dictionaries
Computer-based learning options include:
- Interactive lessons on flash drives (Spanish, French, Italian, Chinese), available for check-out at the circ desk
- Powerspeak Language Lessons (video and audio) via the Vermont Online Library (Spanish, French, German, Mandarin, and ESL) *
- Universal Class, a huge collection of free online continuing-education courses (Spanish and French) *
- Downloadable language instruction via ListenUp VT or OneClickDigital.
Remember that if you want to read a specific book in a foreign language and it's not in the Kellogg-Hubbard collection, we can borrow it through interlibrary loan.
* Need your library barcode to sign in to these services? It's on the back of your library card. If you can't find your library card, ask at the circ desk and we'll look up the number.