We are proud to display a wonderful sculpture created in 2016 by Montpelier artist Ryan Mays, and generously commissioned and donated by Jay and Barbara White. The sculpture makes for a beautiful addition to the Main Street entrance of the library. Be sure to stop by and see it in person!
A dramatic start
The saga of the Kellogg-Hubbard Library began in 1889, when Martin M. Kellogg, a New York City real estate magnate born in Barre, died of a heart attack, followed three months later by his widow, the former Fanny M. Hubbard, a Montpelier native. The couple had agreed their $300,000 estate should be given to the city of Montpelier to construct ornate entrance gates for the Green Mount Cemetery and to build a public library.
The Library's second-floor fiction room houses three beautiful replicas of historical friezes: one from the Parthenon, and two from the cathedral in Florence.
This room was originally built as a lecture hall, and later housed the T.W. Wood Art Gallery from 1953-1985. The Wood Gallery bought the three friezes, which remained in the Library after the Gallery relocated to the Vermont College of Fine Arts campus.